Albany Medical Center Awards and Designations
We are here to serve our patients and our community with the highest quality care that an academic medical center offers. Here are just some of our most recent achievements, awards, and designations.
Accreditations & Designations
- The Joint Commission’s “Gold Seal of Approval” for accreditation. The accreditation award recognized a dedication to continuous compliance with The Joint Commission’s state-of-the-art standards.
- Our Cancer Care Program is accredited by the Commission on Cancer, an American College of Surgeons’ program that holds cancer treatment programs to the highest standards of care.
- Albany Medical Center is accredited by both The Joint Commission, the leading agency that offers accreditations to American hospitals, and the U.S. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
- State Department of Health designated Capital Region’s Alzheimer’s Disease Center of Excellence
- Advanced Stroke Certification from The Joint Commission
- Our Trauma Program has received Advanced Certification status from The Joint Commission
- Non-invasive Cardiology Accreditation for transesophageal and transthoracic echocardiography
- American College of Surgeons accreditation as a Level 1 adult trauma center
- American College of Surgeons Nutrition Clinic quality accreditation
- Accreditation of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program from the American College of Surgeons
- American College of Surgeons approved accreditation for Breast Cancer Care
- Cribs for Kids designated Safe Sleep Hospital
- Advanced Certification for Comprehensive Stroke Centers from The Joint Commission
Caring for our Patients
- The Enteral Nutrition Improvement Project Quality Improvement Award from the New York State Perinatal Quality Collaborative for efforts to improve nutrition, healthy postnatal growth and neurological outcomes among preterm infants.
- Five-year survival rate for women treated for stage II breast cancer was nearly seven percent higher than the average of other academic medical institutions and followed best practices for treatment of breast and colon cancer at rates far higher than cancer treatment centers in New York State and nationwide.
- Recognition from the Medicare Quality Improvement Organization in New York State for care of Medicare beneficiaries, including quality post-discharge follow-up and patient care plans.
- Albany Medical Center was among a select group of hospitals nationwide recognized by the US Department of Health and Human Services for reaching gold level of recognition for public education about donation and state donor registries.
- Digestive Disease Center recognized for providing high-quality endoscopy services by The American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy.
- Region’s only Covid-19 longitudinal care program for patients with long Covid.
- Largest Extracorporeal Life Support (ECMO) program in northeastern New York for treating heart failure and lung failure.
- The American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program (ACS NSQIP) recognized Albany Medical Center for exemplary surgical outcomes.
- Albany Medical Center, in cooperation with the University at Albany’s School of Public Health, was selected as a Phase 1 winner in the Promoting Pediatric Primary Prevention Challenge by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Health Resources & Services Administration for efforts to improve local childhood immunization rates. It is the only health care organization in upstate New York to earn the distinction.
- Nurses from Albany Med’s Medical Surgical unit honored with the Teamwork Recognition Award from the Northeast New York Professional Nurses Organization
Additional Awards & Recognitions
- Stroke Gold Plus and Silver Quality Achievement Award
- Heart Failure Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award
- Type 2 Diabetes Honor Roll
- Interventional Cardiology of American Heart Association STEMI receiving center Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award