Comprehensive and Affirming Care
The Albany Med Health System is committed to providing comprehensive care to transgender, nonbinary, and gender expansive individuals. We recognize that accessing health care as a gender diverse person can be difficult. We offer compassionate and informed primary and specialty care, as well as gender affirming care.
We have a team of knowledgeable and welcoming professionals who provide trans-competent care. Our collaborative, multidisciplinary approach ensures that patients in our center see providers who communicate with each other to provide the best, most comprehensive care possible in a gender-affirming environment. We work closely with health care professionals across several specialties, including Obstetrics & Gynecology, Endocrinology, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Urology, Primary Care & Family Medicine, and Psychology.
- Surgical Care
- Top surgery (surgery to remove breasts, also known as mastectomy)
- Breast augmentation (surgery to construct breasts)
- Removal of uterus, fallopian tubes, cervix, and/or ovaries (hysterectomy, oophorectomy)
- Removal of testicles (orchiectomy)
- Hormone Therapy
- Gynecologic Care
- Routine gynecologic care for transgender, nonbinary, and gender diverse patients.
- Care of transgender patients after a vaginoplasty procedure
- Adolescent Care
- Adolescent gender care, including puberty blockade, is provided in our Endocrinology clinic
In keeping with our academic mission, we are also involved in the following research endeavors:
- Understanding the lived experiences of transgender and gender-diverse individuals
- Incorporation of LGBTQ+ care curriculum to medical trainees
- Best practice for use of gender affirming language in gynecologic and obstetric care
If you would be interested in participating in any research studies, please contact us.