Psychiatry & Psychology
Mental health is important at every stage of life, from childhood through adulthood and into old age. Disturbances or disorders of emotions, thinking and behavior generally respond very well to professional treatment. Our outstanding staff of highly trained academic psychiatrists, psychologists and social workers provide care to adults and children including consultation, evaluation, and treatments, as well as the latest options in individual, group and family psychotherapies and medication management in outpatient and inpatient settings.
Working with partners at the Capital District Psychiatric Center (CDPC) and the Samuel Stratton Veterans Affairs Medical Center, we provide clinical psychiatric care, consultation and education.
For adults, we offer inpatient treatment at all System hospitals and at CDPC, located next door to Albany Medical Center.
National Suicide Prevention Hotline
The National Suicide and Crisis Lifeline is available 24 hours a day.
Languages: English, Spanish.
Care Throughout the Capital Region
You can learn more about mental health services at Albany Medical Center on this page.
Learn more about our mental health programs at Columbia Memorial Health, Glens Falls Hospital (through a partnership with Behavioral Health Services North), and Saratoga Hospital.
Locations to receive care across the Albany Med Health System can be found in the Get Care section of this page.
- Alcohol and drug abuse
- Psychiatric issues related to Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias
- Anxiety disorders
- Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorders
- Behavioral disorders
- Bipolar disorder
- Cancer psychotherapy
- Clinical depression
- Eating disorders
- Geriatric psychiatry
- Obsessive compulsive disorders
- Personality disorders
- Schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorders
- Psychiatric issues related to trauma
- Assistance with relationship issues, low self-esteem, and trauma
- Treatment of depression and anxiety
- Assistance with understanding and coping with chronic illness
- Assistance with behavioral and developmental difficulties
- Family education regarding adherence or behavioral compliance
- Relaxation and coping strategies to reduce pain and anxiety
- Support around issues of death and dying
- Help with addiction
- Assistance with eating disorders and weight management
- Psychological evaluation related to chronic pain
- Psychological evaluation and clearance for surgery
- Services for impaired professionals
We also offer psychiatric and psychological treatment and services for children and teenagers through the Bernard & Millie Duker Children's Hospital.
To make an appointment at Albany Medical Center, call 518-262-5511.
Training the Next Generation of Mental Health Professionals
Learn more about the Psychiatry Residency Program at Albany Medical College.