Visiting Nurses - Initiating a Referral
The Perfect Balance of Healing and Home
All services provided by Visiting Nurses Home Health (VNHH) require a referral from a provider. If you feel that our skilled nursing or rehabilitative services can benefit you or a loved one, the first step is to contact the physician.
The physician will contact the VNHH intake department directly and provide all the required information. Upon receipt of this information, VNHH staff will contact you directly to set up your first visit.
Our clinical liaison RN supervisors can provide specific information to physician offices or facilities on how to complete a referral. The liaison is available to answer your questions by phone or can provide an in-service to your clinical team. To speak with a liaison, call 518-489-2681.
More information can be found in the FAQ below.
What information do I need to provide to my provider?
Describe the patient’s status, diagnosis, illness or change in condition, and an address and phone number. Ask the physician’s office to call our agency: Visiting Nurses Home Health, at 518-489-2681, and speak directly with our intake department.
Who pays for VNHH services?
Most medical insurance covers home health care. VNHH will contact your insurance company to confirm coverage and obtain any required authorizations.
How will I know what services I will receive?
During your first visit with a VNHH nurse or therapist, an assessment will be done to determine your plan of care, what services you will receive, and the frequency of the services.
Can I receive supportive services such as a personal care aide or home health care aide?
Our affiliate, Visiting Nurses Home Care, provides support services. Click here [link when live] for more information or contact them at 518-694-9907.
Intake fax: 518-489-2532
Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Sunday, 8 a.m. to noon
To initiate a referral, download, print, and complete the following forms:
Visiting Nurses referral form (signed by MD or DO)
Instructions on completing the face-to-face form are available here.
When complete, fax the forms and the following patient information to VNHH Intake:
- Patient demographic information, including insurance, address and phone number.
- Current diagnosis list (this must be signed by a physician)
- Most recent visit notes to summarize patient’s current status.
- Medication list
- List of services you are requesting with orders outlining the purpose for each service.
- Name and contact information of person sending referral.
- For diabetic patients, please include parameters.
- For wound care, please include orders and wound measurements.
- If you have questions or need assistance in completing a referral, feel free to reach out to our Intake Department.
- Upon receipt of referral, VNHH will contact the patient to set up the first appointment.
- After the first appointment, VNHH will fax Form 485 (Plan of Care) to your office. This form must be signed by the physician and faxed to us at 518-489-2532 to start care and meet New York State regulations.