World-Renowned Vascular Care in the Capital Region
Patients in the Capital Region of New York are fortunate to have access to one of the best vascular surgery programs in the world.
Albany Medical Center, a member of the Albany Med Health System, is the major referral center and the largest provider of vascular surgery in northeastern New York and western New England.
Our program has a long history of excellence. Our team is visited regularly by colleagues worldwide and has pioneered numerous procedures that are now standard in the field, including procedures to repair aneurysms and peripheral artery disease.
Leading the Way
Because we are an academic health system, our patients have access to clinical trials, and they benefit from the ongoing research conducted at Albany Medical College to help develop new innovative treatments.
All vascular surgery locations and providers in the System can be found in the Get Care section of this page.
Vascular conditions are those affecting the body’s circulatory system outside of the heart and the brain—including veins, arteries, lymphatics and sympathetic nerves. Common vascular conditions seen by our surgeons include:
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA)
- Aortic aneurysm
- Aortic valve stenosis
- Arterial-venous malformations
- Carotid artery disease
- Carotid artery occlusion (narrowing)
- Chronic venous insufficiency (find out more about our participation in the national SAVVE study)
- Limb preservations
- Peripheral arterial disease
- Raynaud’s disease
- Varicose veins
- Venous blood clots
- Computed Tomographic Angiography (CT)
- Doppler and Ultrasound (Duplex) Imaging
- Magnetic Resonance Angiography (MRA)
- Venous Ultrasound
- Invasive Arterial Testing
- Lifestyle and medication changes
- Smoking cessation
- Diet modification
- Abdominal and thoracic aneurysm repair
- Acarotid endarterectomy (CEA)
- Angioplasty or stent placement (as is done in the heart for CAD)
- Clot-removal treatment
- Carotid artery surgery and stenting (CAS)
- Complex open aortic procedures
- Distal arterial revascularization
- Endovascular aneurysm repair
- Extremity artery reconstruction
- Laser ablation
- Limb-sparking surgery
- Open aneurysm repair
- Peripheral bypass surgery
- Repair of vascular trauma
- Thoracic outlet decompression
- Surgical wound care
- Vein excision/Phlebectomy
- Vein stripping
In the combined operating room and endovascular suite located at Albany Medical Center, fixed systems are accompanied by floating angiography tables that allow the vascular surgeon to move the patient easily, affording the most control during surgery and permitting the most effortless and efficient imaging.
Complete with digital fluoroscopic imaging equipment that creates three-dimensional pictures of blood vessels and arteries, the facility allows surgeons to perform advanced minimally invasive procedures as well as traditional surgeries. Complex "hybrid" open and endovascular procedures, as in the case of bypass and stenting procedures, are performed simultaneously by a team of vascular and cardiac surgeons and interventionalists.
Located at Albany Medical Center, the region's only VICU (Vascular Intensive Care Unit) offers critical care and close monitoring to patients undergoing complicated or high-level vascular surgery.