Therapy for Patients at All Levels of Athleticism
The Albany Med Health System's Sports and Exercise Medicine physicians specialize in the medical treatment of conditions such as ankle sprains, muscle strains, knee and shoulder injuries, and fractures. We also provide treatment for concussions, overuse injuries, and sports injuries.
Our physicians are skilled in identifying causes and potential therapies for sports-related conditions in adults and children. We help patients safely get back to physical fitness and exercise in their daily lives – from professional, college, and high school athletes to those who want to stay active.
All providers and locations in the System can be found in the Get Care section of this page.
- Foot and ankle sprains and injuries
- Hand, wrist, and elbow injuries
- Joint conditions, including arthritis and gout
- Knee injuries, including ligament, cartilage and growth plate
- Overuse problems, including tendonitis and epicondylitis
- Pelvis, hip and spine injuries
- Shoulder injuries, including rotator cuff issues and multidirectional instability
- Sports-related concussions
- Stress fractures
- Upper and lower back pain
We treat many more conditions. Contact us by using the Get Care section of this page to find out more.
Our physicians develop treatment programs and will provide patients with the necessary exercises and education to help prevent future injuries. We provide diagnostic testing, therapies, and treatments which include, but are not limited to:
- Computerized neuropsychological testing for sports-related concussions
- Diagnostic musculoskeletal ultrasound
- Gait analysis and treadmill testing
- Injury prevention
- Joint injections/aspirations
- Treadmill exercise testing
- X-ray lab on site
Top-Level Concussion Care
We treat the needs of athletes of all ages who have sustained sports-related head injuries, including possible concussions. This includes providing educational services to athletic directors and coaches in the region on the warning signs of concussions, preventive measures, and ways to recognize acute injuries on the field.
We are certified to use ImPACT, the latest concussion technology.
Patients appropriate for referral include:
- Concussions (suspected or identified)
- Head injuries and headaches
- Decisions for formerly concussed athletes regarding return to play, school or work
What patients can expect:
A multimodal evaluation process that includes a clinical examination, computerized neuropsychological assessment, treadmill exercise testing, and balance evaluation. Expert rehabilitative and symptom-management services are provided, as well as guidance on decisions about returning to play, school and work.
We use proven and innovative technology to offer the best care in a comfortable environment.
- Blood tests
- Access to radiology imaging at local facilities via a secure website
- ImPACT software for concussion management
- Musculoskeletal ultrasound
Our outpatient exercise lab includes a treadmill and a separate shower facility. Patients have access to gait analysis, treadmill testing, and lactate threshold testing. These services are mainly offered to athletes who wish to improve athletic performance. We also provide the necessary tests to manage, treat and prevent sport-related injuries.